Tournament season is kicking off around the world!
A FIRST® LEGO® League event offers a fun and exciting way for teams to show off what they learned and invented and to compete with their robots.
To help prepare, download a copy of our FIRST LEGO League Event Guide. Whether your team plans to participate in an Official Regional event or a smaller, local or school event, the checklists, rules and rubrics in the guide will help your team know what to expect.
We’ve pulled these top 10 tips from the Event Guide to share with your team:
- FIRST® LEGO® League is about what happens all season, not just on event day. Focus on what you’ve learned and how much you have improved since your season started.
- Make sure you read and understand the Participation Rules.
- Judges may observe your team at any time during the day.
- Don’t be nervous. Teams and judges are there to learn from each other and celebrate with you.
- Make sure your team and supporters demonstrate Core Values – even when things don’t go exactly as you planned. Remember, everyone you encounter is volunteering their time.
- Make time for fun breaks throughout the day, especially before judging sessions. Have a cheer, a song, or a game ready to stay energized.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before the tournament. Be prepared for loud noise and a long day.
- Go over what you want to say before going into your judging sessions, either out loud to team members or silently to yourself. Practice with the rubrics to see where you might improve.
- Take the time to go around the pits and meet the other teams. Show your enthusiasm for their projects and robots. Your encouragement can mean a lot to another team.
- Have fun! You’ve worked hard all season. Be proud of all you have accomplished!
If you are a rookie team that plans on participating in an event, get ready for an amazing experience! Your team will have a chance to meet with other teams as they celebrate their hard work, make new friends, share ideas and, most importantly, HAVE FUN!